Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kickin’ It With David - Blog Entry #5

BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS



The first week back in YEG has been extremely eventful. I've been on "non-stop" mode from the day I left Toronto. First of all my journey here was a long one that had Kyle Porter and I driving all the way from Toronto via U.S.A. We passed through Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, North Dakota and then made our way across the border into Saskatchewan (where we were searched thoroughly before being given permission to cross). From there we passed through Regina and eventually to our final destination. We took shifts driving, usually about five hours before switching. As you can imagine it was still a long way from point A to point B, but we managed to get here safely.

We made it here just in time to have breakfast and go straight to training. Our first training session was light and was just to get back into the swing of things. It's nice to be in the routine and nice to be apart of the team again. Being with the team and training daily reminds me why I enjoy being a professional so much, it feels good to be competing and being in an atmosphere with other guys who are trying to accomplish the same things I am. It makes waking up in the morning a lot easier when you're working towards a common goal.

Two evenings this week we coached our academy kids at the eastside soccer centre. I was there Thursday night where I coached my kids to victory and enjoyed working with them. Besides them having a winning attitude they also were willing to learn and made my job a lot easier and the experience enjoyable. I hope to see more kids come out as the academy goes on into the new year. As I coached the kids I saw how important it is for youth to be involved in a team activity. It obviously can be a very positive influence in their lives, this made me come up with an idea for the charity I mentioned in last week's blog entry. I'm hoping to start a charity that I can relate to, so obviously I'd like to have it soccer related. I had some good suggestions last week and hope to get more this week, I'll be looking to combine the best ideas with my ideas to come up with the perfect cause. I'm looking to be more involved in the community because I remember how much it inspired me to have people I looked up to encouraging me to follow my dream.

This Tuesday (Nov. 8) I will be with a few of the guys and staff from the team at the CFR (Canadian Finals Rodio) hanging out. Come out and enjoy the festivities with us, don't hesitate to say hi and hang out. Hope to see you there.

Kick it with you next time.....

@davidamonsalve

No comments:

Post a Comment