Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kickin’ It With David - Blog Entry #3

MOVING FORWARD

I made my way downtown Wednesday morning as I was invited to be a guest on The Score's Footy Show podcast (Take Your Kick"). It's an easy going show where a panel of analysts answer questions about recent games and news in the soccer world. It was a lot of fun being on the show again. Luckily this is the third time I've been invited back to be on The Footy Show. Those guys are great and made it very easy to enjoy myself in an environment I'm not usually in. Like I mentioned, it's very easy going and it gave me the confidence to go in and be myself. The second time I was on, a lot of jokes were thrown back and forth but one in particular stuck and went on for weeks. The joke came up this time around and made the experience that much more enjoyable. I won't spoil it by telling you what it's all about but I do suggest you check it out for yourself.

Champions league was one of the focus point of the show. The usual power houses were mentioned; Man. City, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Man. U... But not only was UEFA Champions League mentioned but CONCACAF Champions League as well, something that directly impacts us. Tuesday night Toronto FC joined Montreal as the only Canadian clubs to make it to the knockout round of the tournament. I'm very happy to hear that, and as a Canadian soccer player/fan I congratulate TFC. This shows the growth and improvement of soccer in Canada. The way I look at it is that we (FC Edmonton) can be there one day. If we continue to grow and develop the way club ownership envisions, who's to say we can't one day be the third Canadian club to make it to the knockout round of the CONCACAF Champions league and beyond. It's incredible to see the growth of soccer in Canada, and I'm proud to be apart of it. When I first started I had no idea that Toronto as a city would embrace the sport and the team with such enthusiasm and support. The same can be said for Vancouver and Montreal, the numbers that come out in support on a weekly basis in both cities are something that six years ago would have sounded crazy. This is something I see happening in Edmonton and excites me to know that the city and club are moving forward in the right direction to get there. Watching the Champions League got me motivated and definitely made me feel like making it to the tournament is a personal goal of mine.

On a lighter note, I've been enjoying home...this weekend I'm preparing for Halloween as it's one of my favourite holidays. I'll be shopping around for decorations for the house and for a costume. Any ideas? I've also been pretty lazy and haven't been training much. I feel we do deserve the time to be lazy after a year of hard work, but with that being said, I have to get back in the swing of things.

You know to leave me any questions and/or suggestions on my twitter. Make sure to also check FC Edmonton's Facebook fan page for the latest updates.

Kick it with you next time....

@davidamonsalve

No comments:

Post a Comment