Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kickin’ It With David - Blog Entry #12

BACK IN YEG


Happy 2012 everyone.

Writing this blog today feels a bit weird after 3 weeks of not doing it. I guess you could say my vacation included a break from everything I've been involved in, including the blog. I'm not going to lie I missed it but it was nice having absolutely nothing to do for 3 weeks.


I landed in Toronto with Pele (my dog) to a snowless, warm(ish) and traffic infested Toronto. Right away I couldn't help but feel right at home! I swear, I could walk off the plane and out of the airport blindfolded and know I landed in my city after the first breath. The smell, the sound, and the feeling you get when you’re home, you just know you’re somewhere great. The people that know me know that I take pride in my city and always talk about it. So obviously I enjoyed my time at home.

At home I had a lot of time to do nothing and just be lazy. I stayed home and just took full advantage of the benefits about being there, like mom's home cooked meals. Being home for the holiday's is special to me but even more so because it’s Christmas, New years and my birthday. This year I spent every occasion with family and my close friends. My birthday consisted of having people over the exact day of and then on the weekend we had a night out downtown Toronto where I had close to 25 people there to celebrate with me. Christmas was spent at my aunts house where this year I was selected to be "Santa". In my family Santa is the person who distributes the gifts at midnight to the rest of the family. New years we went to a family friends house where we, along with about 50 other people had dinner together before dancing to salsa and other traditional Colombian music. Besides those 3 occasions I didn't do much going out.

I spent a lot of time concentrating and putting my effort towards KICK IT AGAIN. It's something I've been excited and been looking to put together for a while. The idea was presented to me by a very good friend of mine, who inspired me to do something that would help people. KICK IT AGAIN is my way of doing so, by collecting new or gently used soccer equipment and distributing it to underprivileged youth. By doing this we'd be providing them with the opportunity to experience the joys and benefits of participating in organized sport. When I started to talk about the idea of starting this I was lucky to have the support of FC Edmonton, my family and friends. This is still the case today and with their help this will be a great way to give to the community. KICK IT AGAIN is something I've become very passionate about and take a lot of pride in, although we are still in the stages of development I know it's going to make a big difference in the lives of youth. More information will be up very soon and available to you through Facebook and Twitter.

I also was invited to join the good guys at the footy show to be apart of their weekly "Take Your Kick" pod cast. I've been on the show before and it's never anything but a good time. The usual came up, as we spoke about the EPL, took questions from fans on twitter and just cracked a joke here and there. It's definitely worth the listen.http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2012/01/04/the-footy-shows-take-your...

Now I'm home and looking forward to picking up where we left off. Pele came back with me and it's obvious he enjoyed Toronto as much as I did. He's not as happy as he was when we were there, he had a lot more people around him showing him the attention all puppies crave. He's not around any other dogs here as often as he was when we were in Toronto. But he's getting over it and starting to get used to being back in Edmonton. Since we've left Edmonton for the holidays he's doubled in size and weight, he's now 30lbs and only 3 and a half months old. He's going to be a big boy.

The teams been training this week and some new faces have joined us. A couple trialists are here as well as Kevin Hatchi, our newest signing is now training with us. Everything has been looking good so far. It just feels like the seasons so far away and it's not fun having to wait to get on the field and compete. But I know we'll be ready to compete for a championship once we travel to Florida for our opening game in April.

For those interested in getting involved in KICK IT AGAIN, more info will be made available to you through Facebook and twitter. So be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on twitter @davidamonsalve, @_KickItAgain and@FCEdmontonNow.

KICK IT WITH YOU NEXT TIME.... @davidamonsalve, PELE and all of us from@_KickItAgain

No comments:

Post a Comment